March 19, 2014

After Twenty Years

THE COP MOVED ALONG THE STREET, LOOKING strong and important. This was the way he always moved. He was not thinking of how he looked. There were few people on the street to see him. It was only about ten at night, but it was cold and there was a wind with a little rain in it.

He stopped at doors as he walked along, trying each door to be sure that it was closed for the night. Now and then he turned and looked up and down the street. He was a fine-looking cop, watchful, guarding the peace.

People in this part of the city went home early. Now and then you might see the lights of a shop or of a small restaurant, but most of the doors belonged to business places that had been closed hours ago.

Then the cop suddenly slowed his walk. Near the door of a darkened shop a man was standing. As the cop walked toward him, the man spoke quickly.

“It’s all right, officer,” he said. “I’m waiting for a friend. Twenty years ago we agreed to meet here tonight. It sounds strange to you, doesn’t it? I’ll explain if you want to be sure that everything’s all right. About twenty years ago there was a restaurant where this shop stands. ‘Big Joe’ Brady’s restaurant.”

“It was here until five years ago,” said the cop.

The man near the door had a colorless square face with bright eyes, and a little white mark near his right eye. He had a large jewel in his necktie.

“Twenty years ago tonight,” said the man, “I had dinner here with Jimmy Wells. He was my best friend and the best fellow in the world. He and I grew up together here in New York, like two brothers. I was eighteen and Jimmy was twenty. The next morning I was to start for the West. I was going to find a job and make a great success. You couldn’t have pulled Jimmy out of New York. He thought it was the only place on earth.

“We agreed that night that we would meet here again in twenty years. We thought that in twenty years we would know what kind of men we were, and what future waited for us.”

“It sounds interesting,” said the cop. “A long time between meetings, it seems to me. Have you heard from your friend since you went West?”

“Yes, for a time we did write to each other,” said the man, “but after a year or two, we stopped. The West is big. I moved around everywhere, and I moved quickly. I know that Jimmy will meet me here if he can. He was as true as any man in the world. He’ll never forget. I came a thousand miles to stand here tonight, but I’ll be glad about that, if my old friend comes too.”

The waiting man took out a fine watch, covered with small jewels.

“Three minutes before ten,” he said. “It was ten that night when we said goodbye here at the restaurant door.”

 “You were successful in the West, weren’t you?” asked the cop.

“I surely was! I hope Jimmy has done half as well. He was a slow mover. I’ve had to fight for my success. In New York a man doesn’t change much. In the West you learn how to fight for what you get.”

The cop took a step or two.

“I’ll go on my way,” he said. “I hope your friend comes all right.

If he isn’t here at ten, are you going to leave?”

“I am not!” said the other. “I’ll wait half an hour, at least. If Jimmy is alive on earth, he’ll be here by that time. Good night, officer.”

“Good night,” said the cop, and walked away, trying doors as he went.

There was now a cold rain falling and the wind was stronger. The few people walking along that street were hurrying, trying to keep warm.
At the door of the shop stood the man who had come a thousand miles to meet a friend. Such a meeting could not be certain, but he waited.

About twenty minutes he waited, and then a tall man in a long coat came hurrying across the street. He went directly to the waiting man.

“Is that you, Bob?” he asked, doubtfully.

“Is that you, Jimmy Wells?” cried the man at the door.

The new man took the other man’s hands in his. “It’s Bob! It surely is. I was certain I would find you here if you were still alive. Twenty years is a long time. The old restaurant is gone, Bob. I wish it were here, so that we could have another dinner in it. Has the West been good to you?”

“It gave me everything I asked for. You’ve changed, Jimmy. I never thought you were so tall.”

“Oh, I grew a little after I was twenty.”

“Are you doing well in New York, Jimmy?”

“Well enough. I work for the city. Come on, Bob, We’ll go to a place I know, and have a good long talk about old times.”

The two men started along the street, arm in arm. The man from the West was beginning to tell the story of his life. The other, with his coat up to his ears, listened with interest.

At the corner stood a shop bright with electric lights. When they came near, each turned to look at the other’s face.

The man from the West stopped suddenly and pulled his arm away.

“You’re not Jimmy Wells,” he said. “Twenty years is a long time, but not long enough to change the shape of a man’s nose.”

“It sometimes changes a good man into a bad one,” said the tall man. “You’ve been under arrest for ten minutes, Bob. Chicago cops thought you might be coming to New York. They told us to watch for

you. Are you coming with me quietly? That’s wise, but first here is something I was asked to give you. You may read it here at the window. It’s from a cop named Wells.”
The man from the West opened the little piece of paper. His hand began to shake a little as he read.

“Bob: I was at the place on time. I saw the face of the man wanted by Chicago cops. I didn’t want to arrest you myself. So I went and got another cop and sent him to do the job.
JIMMY.”

24 comments:

  1. The story was great. I really liked the them. About true friend ship and that after so many years neither of them forgot. I hope that the teacher is going to keep giving so many cool story's. This is defenitly one of the best his given.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The story was great even thow I knew that Bob was a thief and that Jimmy was a cop. That end was really awesome because it was the only thing I could knew. This are the type of story that I like to see all details and time. I hope to read more good stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The story was Great. At first i suspect about the cop but when he left i said well not him. It was very interesting I love it. We can learn that people change with the years. Very Good story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This story was confuse but it was entertain.It had to many meanings in just 3 pages. Students should read this to know the true friendship. Also I think it help to make good decisions. I as student like the story. I should recommended it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This story was very entertaining and confusing. I was confused at times but it kept me exited. This was one of the best story I had read in class. Students should read this story. It teaches us tha life changes people

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really like this story. In some parts it trys to confuse you. It shows us that the time may be could change persons. Must of the storys that Mr. Quiñones discuss in class try to make us think things that aren't the same sequence. For me it was fun and great. What try to show us also is the meaning of the true friendship. That's something that we must try to practice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This story was my favorite of all the story discussed in class. I like it alot because I never imagine that Bob was a thief. The end of the story was very shoky but I like it alot. It also was a good story about friendship, that they reunited after 20 years. I like it alot I hope we could read more stories like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like this story.It was very entertaining an sometimes was confusing me.I never think that Bob was thief. I learn that being a good friend is doing the correct thing. I hope that there going to be more story like this. This story explain how people change a lot in years and what they become. Good story!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like this story a lot. It was very unpredictable and I didn't even know what to expect. I really like the end because Jimmy takes a good decision. This story teach us what is a true friendship. A good friend always wants the best for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is a great story although I have liked more the others. In this story we could tell that the setting is very important. This story is about true friendship.I never expected the end just like in the others. Cool story!


    ReplyDelete
  11. I like this story. In spite of the twenty years they did not forget his promise. teaches you this story of true friendship. This story is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like this story alot. I never expected the end of the story. We can see that in a long time people can change. Also this teaches about true firendship that no matter what they dirent broke there promise. I hope we could read more stories like this .

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like this story. It was so different and so real. I belive those things happen in real life. In 20 years everyone can change and in the beginning of the story I really think that Bob was a successful man because he sacrificed all. But I never suspect that he really was a criminal.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like this story.It teach you that no matter how much time pass friendship never ends and you will always love your best friends no matter what happened in life.In 20 years many people change but you chose how to change.Bob was a criminal but Jimmy doesn't want to arrest him because he knows that his friendship it’s more important so thats why Jimmy send another partner to arrest Bob.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This story was so different to the others and I think this is the best story the teacher gave us. I think this is a good example of how life can play with our destiny. Some people think that if you're a slow person you will never gonna be a good person working in the future, but sometimes the lazy one is who works better. This give us a good example of the misterys life can have. LOVE IT SO MUCH!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think this story was so impressive because I never think in the begin that Bob was a crimminal and Jimmy a police and that was one of the things that I like too much

    ReplyDelete
  17. This story was really good. It shows us the real meaning of friendship because even though twenty years passed since Bob and Jimmy saw each other they both kept their promise. I really liked the ending where Bob read the note because it showed him that no matter what happened Jimmy was not going to disappoint him and their friendship. This is a story that I would recommend to others.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really liked these story. I liked these story because the moral is so interesting and very surprising. I have learned that a friendship lasts forever and that we should learn to keep it. I hope the teacher keeps giving us more of this interesting and surprising stories. These one has been one of the best.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really liked the story. It was interesting and confusing at times. This story also teaches us about the friendship. I like the part that no matter what they keep their promise. This was definitely one of my favorite story discussed in class.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This story was really interesting, great, and confusing... It really tricks you at first but then after you analyze it you start to understand. I really liked it cause I never thought that Bob would do anything to see his best friend again. What I didnt like is that Jimmy had to make him go to jail. I learned that you cant trust anybody cause people can change and they can betray you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really liked the story. At first did not understand the story. This story has a great moral. We should not trust all people who spend our friends. I hope to read another story like this in the living room.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The story was suprising. At firsts I thought the cop would be Jimmy Wells but I never thought that Bob was a criminal. This story shows how people can change in twenty years!

    ReplyDelete
  23. If I had to be Jimmy Wells I would have done something as he did. If I had to be the author I would have put some action to the story. I would also change the fact that Bob was a jewelry theif in something less bad. The story was interesting. I would never had imagine the ending, it was unexpectable.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This story surprised me. I never thought that Jimmy was the cop. From this story I learned to be honest and honorable. I totally agree that when you are in a negative situation with friends or family you must do the right things at all times. Remember to be fair is to do the right things, to be unfair is not to do nothing at all.

    ReplyDelete